Facial Implants

Thank you replying so quickly, Dr. Garcia. A few follow-up questions: Is it most likely that the infection is contaned to the implant only and hasn't infected the bone itself? If the bone is infected, will it have to be removed too? And in any case, shouldn't we just wait to see if the IV antibotics work before any surgery is attempted? If the implant has to be removed, can a new implant be placed so that my face will be symmetrical? If so, when? Thank you very much for your time and care.

Answer:

It is doubtful that the bone itself is infected. It is always wise to see if a non-surgical option will work, so yes, move forward with the IV antibiotics. If the implant is removed, I would wait at least 3 months before replacing it. Hope that helps.